Sunday, March 16, 2014

Kings v. Flyers 1993

Are you old like me such that you remember the 1993 season? If so, maybe you remember the March 13, 1993 Kings-Flyers game in Philly that was postponed after the 1st period because of the Storm of the Century.

I was thinking about this today because of the rescheduling of the Columbus-Dallas game from last week when Rich Peverley nearly died on the bench. Evidently, the goal that was scored in the game is going to still count so that Columbus will have a 1-0 lead at the start and Nathan Horton, James Wiz (I'm not gonna butcher his name by misspelling it), and Matt Calvert will get to have that and the assists in their career stats.

According to the NHL, this is how they have done things in the past:

"Today's decision mirrors actions the League took in rescheduling the postponed game between the Detroit Red Wings and Nashville Predators at Joe Louis Arena on Nov. 21, 2005, as a result of a medical emergency involving Detroit player Jiri Fischer at 12:30 of the first period."

Not so fast! Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when that Kings-Flyers game was postponed until later in the year (April 1), the teams did not keep their goals from the first period, but instead played the whole thing over from the start with a clean slate. Unfortunately neither the LA Times nor the Philadelphia Inquirer say in their articles about the cancelled games who scored the teams' goals in the first go-round. But I seem to recall at the time feeling bad for the guys who'd scored because they wouldn't get those goals in their career stats (I was 13 at the time, these things bothered me.)

Anybody remember if they started 1-1 on April 1, 1993? Or did the storm blow away those goals? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment